A contrivance is a gadget or device that can be used for some particular purpose. The spinning blade of a blender is a contrivance that turns fruits and yogurt into a tasty smoothie. Yum.
A contrivance is a useful device or tool. It might be assembled or invented, and it’s often mechanical, although you can really refer to anything that’s made for a specific purpose as a contrivance. The word sometimes also implies a falseness or obviousness, like the contrivance of a spy’s very fake-looking beard that’s supposed to disguise him, or the contrivance of a novel’s complicated, unbelievable plot.
the faculty of contriving; inventive skill
the act of devising something
a device or control that is very useful for a particular jobsynonyms:
appliance, contraption, convenience, gadget, gismo, gizmo, widgetsee moretypes:
- show 4 types…
- hide 4 types…
- gadgetryappliances collectively
- gimbalan appliance that allows an object (such as a ship’s compass) to remain horizontal even as its support tips
- injectora contrivance for injecting (e.g., water into the boiler of a steam engine or particles into an accelerator etc.)
- mod conmodern convenience; the appliances and conveniences characteristic of a modern house
- devicean instrumentality invented for a particular purpose
any improvised arrangement for temporary use
an artificial or unnatural or obviously contrived arrangement of details or parts etc.
an elaborate or deceitful scheme contrived to deceive or evade“his testimony was just a
contrivance to throw us off the track”see moretypes:
- plantsomething planted secretly for discovery by another
- pump-and-dump schemean illegal scheme for making money by manipulating stock prices; the schemer persuades other people to buy the stock and then sells it himself as soon as the price of the stock rises
- wangle, wanglingan instance of accomplishing something by scheming or trickery